Tammy Fry, Global Brand Lead of The Fry Family Food Co., has written a gorgeous plant-based cookbook and lifestyle guide called Made with Love & Plants.
Passionate about plant-based living, Tammy embodies health and wellness. She is a certified plant-based nutritionist. To celebrate Veganuary we tried this easy, delicious coconut chilli lime strip kebabs with toasted coconut and fresh lime recipe.
1 serving = 2 kebabs = 2 protein, 1 fat
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Level of difficulty: 1/5
8 wooden skewers, soaked in cold water overnight or soaked in boiling water for 15 minutes
Coconut chilli lime marinade
100 ml soy sauce
150 ml coconut milk
juice of 2 limes, keep a little aside for serving
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup maple syrup
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 red chilli, de-seeded and roughly chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 x 380g box Fry’s chicken-style or Fry’s chunky strips, slightly defrosted
1 red pepper, sliced into thick strips
1 red onion, sliced into thick strips
½ cup toasted coconut flakes
½ tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
1. Begin with the marinade. Place all the ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and blitz together until combined. Set aside
2. For the chicken-style or chunky strips, thread the strips onto wooden skewers, alternating with slices of red pepper and red onion.
3. Pour over the marinade and leave to marinate for 15–20 minutes (or overnight if possible).
4. Heat the braai to a medium-high heat and grill for 5–8 min, turning often.
5. Remove from the heat and immediately sprinkle with the lime juice that was set aside
6. To serve, sprinkle over the coconut and chilli flakes.
Made with Love and Plants will be available in major book stores and online in South Africa in January from www.loot.co.za/product/tammy-fry-made-with-love-plants
Join our We Love Veganuary Facebook Group and let us know how it’s going. We’d love to see what’s cooking in your kitchen.